Tale of two Madrids

By this I mean the difference betwen stuck-up Restaurante Ana La Santa, where this meager pour goes for 3.50e and the uninterested waiter can't be hailed even if you set off a volley of fireworks ...


... And the unassuming Taperia Mayor, where the menu has pictures (check out the old-school napkin dispenser!) and a waitress with her head on a swivel who takes care of eight tables without missing a beat. Guess who gets my business?



A firm, salted lubina (sea bass), and they don't run out of coffee, either. See you again, amiga!



For plain espresso, ask for un (oon) cafe solo. For a bigger cup and more sips, ask for an Americano (half espresso, half water)  I know this must seem incredibly basic to Spaniards and other Spanish-speaking people, but hey, I want to help you hit the ground running! If you want milk, liquor other crap, you're on your own. I have no idea.

Popular Posts